Screw my computer up

I had purchased System Mechanical Pro and it would not load on my laptop. They told me my lap top was corrupt and that the could sign me for one year deal $149.95 to keep it running good and fix the corrupt. They screwed up the laptop. Called them and asked to refund me the said that it would take 5-6 days to refund my money. I end up another week later calling because they did not refund. Got my credit car bill and was not credited. I took the computer to a local repair guy and it is running fine. Deal with people in India is not a good idea.
Mansfield, Ohio

System Mechanics 11.5.2 contract short change

I sent in my order on January 05, 2013 for System Mechanic 11.5.2and iolo has the termination date as December 07 2013. That is 11 months, not 12 ;IE one year. Called twice and had long conversations with personnel to no avail. Since then have written a number of forms to get the contract extended. No luck. I paid for 12 months, why can't I get 12 months service instead of 11? There should be some way to contact iolo instead of going through INDIA and getting ladies who can't understand the problem. It is so simple - they gypped me out of one month. Think of how much that adds to with thousands of customers.
Yorktown, Virginia

Iolo System Mech.

since installing System Mechanic I have been infected twice, and have had to reformat. I've lost MANY photos and other programs I can not replace ,So I think I'll be looking for something else. I feel I have wasted my money the past 3 years since it has happened twice. I also feel if a new version comes along wile the account is payed it should be offered free upgrade,yet you have to pay AGAIN to upgrade. I put up with slow start uo due to System Mech. constant checking for upgrades thinking I was protected,as I found out I was NOT!

Yes, I also bought System Mechanic. I bought 2 copies unfortunately.

It took tremendous time to set up the software and after placing all my settings, it did an update and everything was changed! I never authorized it to uninstall and reinstall a whole new program with a layout I hated and I had to reset everything. It did well to clean my hard drives but became quirky very quickly. I had this running on 6 different types of computers.

And some features would not work at all like the firewall it was advertised for on some but did on others. Made numerous efforts to contact tech support but no answer, no response from emails either. the automatic modes just waste your time saying it would scan and defrag your hard drive during boot up time but when you checked your drive status you discovered it had done nothing and was still 20% fragmented! System guard did little to stop 2 viruses from walking right into 2 of my computers, even though it constantly annoys and stops all other activities unitl you ok them, so that feature is worthless as well.

They send me emails every few days trying to sell me more products without a care if I am not even satisfied with the first product I bought from them. Nor did they bother to ask. if they would check their emails they might find out that I hate this software. What a horrible experience I have had and you will have the same.

There should be a lawsuit for false advertising. Their text on the outside of the box or packaging it comes in only says: "We Reserve the right to change the features of the software at any time" but does not include or imply that you are being forced to re-buy their *** every year. It says NOTHING on the box about you having to pay them every year for a "membership" or anything that even slighty implies that what little of the 6 features, they have advertised, on the outside of their package will stop working, in 12 months if I dont give them more money! Yes, they actually want you to rebuy it AGAIN every year!

But they wont tell you that ANYWHERE on their package. I have never had to re-purchase software every year nor would I ever agree to such a condition. I am furiously ticked off at the hours of my time this snake oil has wasted and I have this remember on 6 different machines. Take a look at their box next time you see one and find their is no mention of ANY of these conditions or stipulations of any sort.

I originally bought it because my Defrag mode does not work well via windows XP and SYS mech has a good one I was told. Now the Defrag features dont even work right on system Mechanic, leaving this memory sucking, money and time suckling, overbearing, annoying, spamming joke of a ***-artists program, now COMPLETELY worthless! AND a burden on top of that. Yes, I am actually in worse shape then I was last year before I bought this.

Paducah, Kentucky

System Mechanic Periodic Validation

The product seems to fulfill as advertised, but I am furious this morning. I often work remotely with no internect connection. My system was starting to run slow, so I start up System Mechanic to resolve my speed problem. After cranking a way analyzing, it ran a pop-up saying System Machanic needs to connect to the internet periodically to "validate" my license and WOULD NOT RUN!!!! I am furious by this and will be looking for different product that won't have their tenacles so deep in my computer. PS: I also had to disable the background process because, like others that complained, it slowed my system so much that I'd swear it was its own virus. However, it does do its basic functions--but I bet I can find a different product that is more consumer and computer friendly.
Redmond, Washington

Iolo Major Ripp Off.

Purchased From Office Max. Iolo must give Office Max a kickback on the volume of there software they sell. Search & Recovery is not compatible with 64 Bit OS at this time this is a laughter. This software has being running for 24 hrs straight through, at 1% on a 320 Gig 2.5 IDE HD. Then I get E-mail that go to there web site and download windows 7 64 version duhuuu. All this has done is wasted my customer time and mine. Now I'll spend extra hundred and purchase Virtual Lab software. Stand behind your product if your selling something.

Charlotte, North Carolina

Big Scam Avoid it

You will lwaste your money , your time and worst of all will slowdown your computer. Avoid IOLO. I did buy the product twice, they said it was for 2 computer, OK. Still will not work, when I call technical support, Kevin from India, told me that the version that I bought was not good for my computer, that my computer was too old. I have a Dell 2011 (not an old). You will be helpless and upsept, plus your computer will be worrt than before; in addition to the wast of time, over 1 hour talking to Kevin, who is of no hep. Avoid IOLO

I got my money back.The man was rude.Then today they tried to take more money.They said I had automatic sub.So I had to get bank to stop them.

I ordered Systems Mechanic version 12.0 in December 2013 and received a doctored version 11.6 late in January that required a $99.95 activation fee. I paid the fee and had many problems, including spending almost $300 to have my laptops cleansed by an incompetent major computer retail/software service chain store.

I was able to get my credit card issuer to remove the activation fee but was not able to get the $300 service charge cancelled.

I suspect that a traitor in the Lolo shipping department substituted the doctored version 11.6 and sent it instead of the version 12.0 that I ordered. Beware!

I got ripped off on for $20. They require the ORIGINAL Proof of purchase in the rebate submission.

So I had to include it, and I made a copy of it. I sent it in but they said I never mailed it in.

Of course, since there is only 1 original Proof of purchase, I don't have another to mail in. I told them I have a copy of it but they said they need the original.

Yes, I got ripped off on thier rebate for $40. They claimed the proof of purchase wasn't included but it was all (receipt, etc)stapled to the rebate form that had my address They must have that becasue they mailed me the rejection.

They couldn't miss it.

Now I'm out the $40. Big IOLO ripoff and no recourse.

Yes, I also bought System Mechanic. I bought 2 copies unfortunately.

I am out of $60, countless hours of time fixing its problems and extracting viruses and invasive programs it never stopped (great firewall eh?) an email account full of their junk mail AND I still have to try to uninstal this out of all 6 of my machines! There is more time gone for doing that and I doubt I will ever get all its tentacles out of my computers.

So my nightmare is not even over yet. BUYERS YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Hi there, I got ripped off for $20 due to Iolo rebate fraud. I bought Iolo Disk scrubber and had a $20 rebate.

One of the requested mail-in items was a proof of purchase that I had to cut out from the box. It said I had to mail in the original proof of purchase. I made a photocopy of the proof of purchase and mailed the ORIGINAL proof of purchase I CUT OUT OF THE BOX along with the receipt . After a few weeks I checked up on it and they refused to honor it because they said I didn't mail in the original proof of purchase.

I said I did for sure, I made sure of it. They said no they didn't see it in the envelope. Then I said I had a photocopy of it, but they said they need the original. So, essentially they can always pretend anyone didn't mail it in and not have to pay out.

I didn't report it to BBB though, at the time I was busy with work and didn't care about $20. But I really should have.

View more comments (5)
Hartford, Connecticut
Loss

Tech Support not helpful!

There are two problems I am seeing with the current upgrade (10.7.7). The first is that ActiveCare runs whenever it wants to and I can't turn it off. After I complete this email I will be uninstalling System Mechanic. Because Drive Medic keeps finding a problem in the index. Running chkdsk in command mode I find no problem. I even went and did a complete new install of XP after I did a complete scan of a new 250gb drive with GRC's SpinRite. SpinRite found NO PROBLEMS on the NEW DRIVE. And only after I installed System Mechanic 10.7.7 did the same errors come back. I was very impressed with System Mechanic but due to poor customer support I can no longer recommend System Mechanic. Your Tech support thinks I know nothing and treats me as if I am an ***!

:? Yes, I also bought System Mechanic.

I bought 2 copies unfortunately. It took tremendous time to set up the software and after placing all my settings, it did an update and everything was changed! I never authorized it to uninstall and reinstall a whole new program with a layout I hated and I had to reset everything. It did well to clean my hard drives but became quirky very quickly.

I had this running on 6 different types of computers. And some features would not work at all like the firewall it was advertised for on some but did on others. Made numerous efforts to contact tech support but no answer, no response from emails either. the automatic modes just waste your time saying it would scan and defrag your hard drive during boot up time but when you checked your drive status you discovered it had done nothing and was still 20% fragmented!

System guard did little to stop 2 viruses from walking right into 2 of my computers, even though it constantly annoys and stops all other activities unitl you ok them, so that feature is worthless as well. They send me emails every few days trying to sell me more products without a care if I am not even satisfied with the first product I bought from them. Nor did they bother to ask. if they would check their emails they might find out that I hate this software.

What a horrible experience I have had and you will have the same. There should be a lawsuit for false advertising. Their text on the outside of the box or packaging it comes in only says: "We Reserve the right to change the features of the software at any time" but does not include or imply that you are being forced to re-buy their *** every year. It says NOTHING on the box about you having to pay them every year for a "membership" or anything that even slighty implies that what little of the 6 features, they have advertised, on the outside of their package will stop working, in 12 months if I dont give them more money!

Yes, they actually want you to rebuy it AGAIN every year! But they wont tell you that ANYWHERE on their package. I have never had to re-purchase software every year nor would I ever agree to such a condition. I am furiously ticked off at the hours of my time this snake oil has wasted and I have this remember on 6 different machines.

Take a look at their box next time you see one and find their is no mention of ANY of these conditions or stipulations of any sort. I originally bought it because my Defrag mode does not work well via windows XP and SYS mech has a good one I was told. Now the Defrag features dont even work right on system Mechanic, leaving this memory sucking, money and time suckling, overbearing, annoying, spamming joke of a ***-artists program, now COMPLETELY worthless! AND a burden on top of that.

Yes, I am actually in worse shape then I was last year before I bought this. I am out of $60, countless hours of time fixing its problems and extracting viruses and invasive programs it never stopped (great firewall eh?) an email account full of their junk mail AND I still have to try to uninstall this out of all 6 of my machines! There is more time gone for doing that and I doubt I will ever get all its tentacles out of my computers. So my nightmare is not even over yet.

BUYERS YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Washington, District Of Columbia

Iolo software didnt honor rebate and stopped 1 yeart service 1/2 year early

I ordered Iolo computer software with a rebate offer. I followed the instructions and have not received the rebate over 6 months later. This would have been around Sept '10 when I got the product. And now they have stopped my service altoghether. The only way to get into the software is to get the code on the box. Well I do not know where this info is after using the software for about six months. When you contact the online "customer service" it asks you to input your email address. Then they act like they have never heard of this address but they still send me email to the address they have no records (of). I knew something was awry when around the having 10 months until expiration they were trying to get me to upgrade. Then after about four months of ignoring the upgrade request they are playing hardball to make me upgrade. But they have lost this customer and will not be getting any more money from me for their now non existent product.

i purchased the software cd, installed it and it worked fine for two months then all *** broke loose - "customer service" rep allie sent me "instructions" that i followed to the "t" over and over eventually suggesting i purchase additional software to remedy the problems i now believe the system shield software created-all the while being inundated with emails to upgrade- iolo is a scam - don't buy it!

Concord, North Carolina

Iolo "recover erased files software"

Not much to say except that on the box it clearly states "works with 32 or 64 bit Windows 7". Surprise. When you load the disk a window opens and it says "sorry, doesn't work with 64 bit at this time". Nice. So now I have to drive 110 (round trip) to return the purchase. Thanks a whole *** of a lot IOLO. OK I have to add more words so that this complaint will satisfy the minimum requirements. Trouble is, I have said everything that I wanted to say so here is a filler. Mary had a little lamb, the doctor was surprised but when old mac donald had a farm the doctor nearly died. OK are there enough words now. Sheesh. Who cares how many words there are anyway? Don't you just love getting told what to do by a computer? Another Sucker Another Sucker

Thanks, sucka!

OK I don't know the program. It could be that you need to download new DLL's in order for it be be compatible with 64 Bit.

Have you had a look at the site? Maybe google your problem maybe you'll find an answer.

sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Just a tip. I use Acronus for backing up my files. Very easy to use and you can restore files real easy.

There are many programs out there. If you need help let me know here.

MS Dos Label but no partitions

How is your HDD formatted?

View more comments (3)
Los Angeles, California

IOLO is a scam

System Mechanic, IOLO, is nothing more than a scam to infect your computer and continue to take your money. Do not let them convince you of their "money back gaurantee". The Guarantee is false! You will never see your money again once you have allowed them access to your credit card. Their "experts" are in India and have no idea what they are doing. I spent at least 16 hours on the phone with them. They only made my situation worse. No promised refund ever appeared! Stick with Norton or Symantec. These are really the only legitinate protectors. Don't learn the hard way like I had to.

I like Kaspersky better because it doesn't use as much resources (memory or CPU) as others.

Denver, Colorado

Iolo System Mechanic

This company list on there software a "90 Day Money Back Guarantee". I returned their product a week after purchase and 6 months later I am still going back and fourth regarding where is the refund. Do not buy from this company. I have written letters, emails and get nothing but a run around response. The refund amount is only 19.99- You will find there product sold at Target, Best Buy and some of the large retailer. My next step is to complain to merchant that sold there product and maybe file a small claim against the Iolo. This should get their attention.

Screwed up my computer and ripped me off :(

This is a very unprofessional and poorly staffed company. The technicians are inexperienced and cost me one day's pay because it took over 10 hours to fix a problem that was not resolved.

The online 'create account' is fake, thus you are not able to contact support via mail.

This company, also hiding under the aka "Avantguard" should be reported to the Better Business Bureau. If you can understand very strong Indian accents, you might be able to communicate with every person in this company.

I made the mistake.

I read the side of the package that says 30 day money back guarantee.

Booted up the software and when I tried to validate it with the iolo website they wanted open 24 access to one of my personal credit card accounts.

This was not disclosed anywhere on the packaging.

My copy and receipt is going to the FBI for business fraud investigation against iolo technologies.

$40 down the drain.

In November I sent in a rebate for $70 to IOLO and I have heard nothing...I also lost the phone number to call them to check on the rebate..

View more comments (4)
Torrance, California

Software that was supposed to fix my computer ruined my computer

I recently bought the iolo system mechanic to fix and speed up my system, but all this program has done is slow down my computer, and my internet browser closes on me when i'm trying to do something and some of my programs do not respond and i can not shut down my system and it has deleted some of my files and my yahoo mesenger. I would not recommend this program to any one, all it will do is *** you off. I don't know how companys like this make any money or even stay in business.

Product pretty much works as advertised for me. One day the program wouldn't start.

Called support in India. The guy pretended to have some clue, ran some smoke and mirror scans. Came to the conclusion that "there is nothing wrong with their program that there were problems deep within the system" he would have to transfer me to the next level of support for $200.

***! I uninstalled and reinstalled the program and all is good.

I installed registry mechanic. Seems to have done the trick.

View more comments (1)
Chico, California

Iolo Technologies refuses to give refund on product.

I purchased Iolo Technologies System Mechanic Professional which caused repeated computer crashes. I sent several emails for a refund and the replies were always to contact tech support instead of giving a refund. I called customer service talked with Nick who refused to put a supervisor on the phone. Refused to give a refund and instructed me that I had to call technical support. When I told him that I bought the software to fix a problem not to create a problem he said he could not help me. When I told him that it is Illegal to offer a money back guarantee and not honor it his response was tough.

Iolo just updated my anti-virus and promptly quarantined my Quickbooks file (features.dll)Both my computers, and am now locked out of Quickbooks. Tech support are nothing but "wind bags".

Anyone else have this problem?

Well, I called iolo today, and I talked with David Andrew, whom I speak to every time I call. He told me that the "senior level" analysts are processing my request.

He seemed to indicate to me that it was going through. However, I told him that I had not heard anything since May 30th and now its June 24. He told me that it takes 6 to 8 weeks to process.

Wow! - that is some customer service, but I am still holding out hope since I do not like to give up.

I have had exactly the same problem. They refuse to honor their money back guarantee.

Has anyone looked into contacting their attorney general or might there be a class action suit with this? I do not understand how they can get away with it.

@PissedConsumer18594

Hey, thanks for your money. I appreciate you all financing my multi million dollar mansion in the Verdugo Hills.

Even if you we're to Google my address' the armed guards will shoot on site. Thanks again and my lawyer wife will sue you all for tranpassing and slander against my LLC product (Limited Liability Company).

@PissedConsumer587686

Noah, you might have prefaced this post with ..."to all you *** that have threatened me...." Listen, ***..that sounds like a challenge...do you hear me you arrogant little *** ? This post is something akin to "inciting to riot"...do you want someone to come after you ?

Don't temp law abiding citizens with the experience, training and ability to call your bluff ! Lawyers bleed....armed guards are my specialty...let them contemplate the darker shadows...day or night !

Now , appologize like a good little ***. Do NOT *** off people "wholesale".

You should have called the iolo tech support team, they are always helpful and kind. Nick and Steve especially are the greatest.

View more comments (5)